Saturday, April 6, 2013

Happy Spring!

 

Spring has sprung in our neighborhood and, my, what a beautiful spring it has been. It seems that this year Mother Nature unleashed her blossoms all at once. Some years, the trees seem to take turns blooming, but not this year. Ground to sky, we are bloomin' all over!

Braving early spring temps, the bulbs started everything off at ground level: Daffodils, of several varieties, hyacinths, grape hyacinth - my personal favorite -  and even an early tulip.





The first trees to lend color to our street, plum trees cast a pink tinge to the landscape.




Three varieties of Japanese magnolia shared center stage.








The showiest of all - even from across a field - cherry trees opened their blooms just days later.





Not to be shown up by trees, shrubs took part in the celebration, as well. Pieris, pink and white, shook their tassels.



Star Jasmine was especially showy this year.



A couple of hardy rhodies stuck out their necks at an early chance to flower.



Happy, sunny forsythia extended its wild and wonderful stems.



Oregon grape reminded us why they're the state flower.



As the earliest trees began to give up the ghost, flowering pears took their turn.



My daily walk has indeed been a breathtaking experience, in more ways than one, I'm afraid. The landscape has changed into a magical palette of colors and textures. And the unusually dry, sunny spell we've had has filled the air with wonderful scents  - and tons of pollen. I so wish I could sit outside and soak up the much-appreciated rays and floral smells of the season. Instead, I end up rubbing my itchy eyes and blotting my runny nose.

The rains have now started back and trees are beginning to leaf out. While I'll miss the lovely flowers, I won't miss my allergies!

No comments:

Post a Comment