Monday, August 10, 2009

Columbia River Gorge

Today we took a road trip to the Columbia River Gorge. Since it was a beautiful, clear, sunny day in Portland, it seemed the perfect time for this particular outing. The goal of this trip was twofold: to take in the majestic panoramic views of the Columbia River and its surroundings, and to have an easy driving day with little walking . Viewpoints are plentiful, and the scenery is ever-changing as one drives along, with dappled sunlight peeking through Douglas Fir forests, and wildflowers at the roadside.



As we were on our way, we happened upon a picturesque inn and restaurant. On a whim, we decided to stop and have lunch, and what a find it was. While they were officially closed on Mondays, they offered box lunches and outdoor seating. What a setting for a casual outdoor lunch! The aptly named View Point Inn has lovely grounds and a magnificent view of the Columbia River. We ate with a fountain gurgling nearby and lavish pots of lavender in the background. I've decided this is the perfect spot for an outdoor wedding. I wonder which of my daughters can be convinced of that?! I'd love to come back sometime for a real meal; their menu looked enticing. Jeff picked one up to take home to his brother, Jules. I took one to leave with Larry as a hint for next year's Mother's Day Brunch...



Larry recommended we include a stop at Larch Mountain where one can (theoretically) see five mountains at once: Mt. St. Helens, Mt. Rainier, Mt. Hood, Mt. Adams, and Mt. Jefferson. When we got there, the sign at the trailhead declared that the viewpoint was 1/4 mile ahead, and warned that it included 100 steps. I worried that Jeff's back might not be able to handle that, and was ready to turn around and move on. But he decided to forge ahead, slowly and carefully, so we did. Unfortunately, there were enough clouds that only Mt. Hood and Mt. Jefferson were truly visible, but the 360 degree view was breathtaking, nonetheless. The trip back down the 100 steps was slow, and I'm afraid he's feeling it tonight. :-(



From there we visited the newly-renovated Vista House at Crowne Point. As we headed inside, a visitor coming out said it was the "fanciest rest stop" she'd ever seen. Indeed, the stained glass windows, re-tiled dome, and the marble and gilt interior were beautiful. Volunteers served us homemade cookies and coffee, and we visited the historical exhibit and gift shop - as well as the facilities. Another 360 degree panoramic view later, we hit the road again.



At that point, the Scenic Drive goes past seven roadside waterfalls. Some are visible from the road, while others require a bit of a hike. We glimpsed a few, as time was catching up with us, but made the requisite stop at Multnomah Falls. The best known of this string of falls, it is a double waterfall, with a pedestrian footbridge crossing it, affording an up-close view. It is a must-see, and one that recognizable over and over again in photographs and paintings of the area.



Amazingly, we made it back in time for me to get Sarah to her Driver's Ed class, while Jeff, the most accommodating of houseguests, prepared a delicious pasta dinner. (Ah, the glory of pain pills!) I told him to be careful of setting precedents; he'll be here awhile, and I could get spoiled!

1 comment:

  1. I finally had a few minutes to catch up on your blog tonight. Wow!! I didn't remember that Sarah is a fan of HP. I haven't read any of the books and I've only seen a few of the movies. Not my "cup of tea". I have been to Bodie, though. Larry and Emily drove through my old hometown of Manteca, Calif. to get to Yosemite. I lived there until I was 9. Your trip to Mobile sounds fun--there is nothing worse than sitting in an airport when it's cutting into your vacation time. Lastly, I LOVE Multnomah Falls. We stop there every time we drive through the gorge. That is such a pretty drive.

    Don't know yet when I'm going to Oregon again. Maybe in January. My parents are coming down in October so there's no point in going up during Fall break. Lisa is here for six months while Andy goes to Iraq--he leaves next week. She is here with Peyton, who will be five months on Saturday. My how time flies. Speaking of time flying--I can't believe it's been 10 years since you moved to Portland. Seems like yesterday that you stayed at the great Miles Motel....Hugs to you all.

    ReplyDelete