Monday, August 3, 2009

Happy 80th, Daddy!

Daddy's party was quite a success, and we are in recovery mode today. It took a tremendous amount of effort to put it all together, but once again, the Langan Clan cum Catering Service has pulled off another successful event.

I created the invitations back in June using Mama's design idea. It featured a photograph of Daddy on the front at 18 months of age, holding a tennis racquet. Inside, was a tennis picture from about two years ago when he was featured in the Mobile Press Register. It turned out quite well, and people seemed genuinely impressed that they were custom-designed. BTW, if you ever want to attempt a project like this, I highly recommend zazzle. It was easy to use with clear directions, and very timely.

At the time the invitations were mailed, it all seemed rather abstract, at least for me, since I was out of town. Sure, we talked about the menu, the music, renting a hall, and all that jazz, but I was rather distanced from the reality of the party planning. That all changed with my arrival in Mobile. Mama and Ruth Ann had done a lot of food preparation already, but there was still a lot left to do. Friday we worked at a leisurely pace and got several more things marked off our list. By Saturday, we were in full swing. Any last minute foods had to be done and all the final shopping. The kitchen was bustling with activity. All three daughters (Ruth Ann, Laura, and I) and my brother, Tom, were cooking/prepping/chopping/cleaning up, along with grandchildren Megan, Justin, and Matthew. Things were hopping! My sister-in-law, Tricia, proved to be the organizer nonpareil, and took on the daunting task of gathering all the serving platters, bowls, and utensils. She and Mama made sure every food had a potential home, and got all those items appropriately labeled and boxed.



We arrived at the hall three hours before party time and rushed around unloading, decorating, getting things generally set up, organizing the bar, and getting the food onto platters. The end result was a party to be proud of. When guests arrived, Justin had music going on the sound system, and the tables were set with white tablecloths with colorful bags of paper flowers as centerpieces - made by Mama, Ruth Ann, Laura, Justin, and Megan. The serving tables were laden with platters of brisket and pork roast (graciously prepared by Tricia's brother, Jerry), meatballs in a wonderful Bourbon BBQ Sauce, Coconut Curried Chicken Balls, Smokey Salmon Spread, Cheddar and Roquefort Cheese Ball, a molded Shrimp Spread, Cheese Straws (provided by Mama's friend, Mary Metcalf), Marinated Green Beans and Tomatoes, watermelon baskets mounded with mixed fruit (carved by Matthew and Ruth Ann), and probably more I'm forgetting. If I do say so myself, it was all delicious.



A highlight was the cake, baked by our cousins at Pollman's Bakery. We provided them with 5 photographs of Daddy taken throughout his 80 years. They have a technique whereby they transferred the images from the photos onto the cake, and it was impressive. Guests were quite protective of the cake when I cut it, and a bit upset that I was cutting into Daddy's pictures. I assured them we had the originals in a safe place!

We estimate we had 100 or so people in attendance, and Daddy was really touched. He had a good time visiting with each and every one, and truly was grinning from ear to ear the whole time, especially during the "Roast and Toast" segment. I saw relatives and friends of my parents I hadn't seen in years. It was great to see so many people turn out to wish him well.



All the food is stored away now and clean-up is complete. It's a bit of a let-down after all the excitement, but at the same time, I'm glad the hustle and bustle is over. It was special working together with three generations to accomplish such a big event, but I now have a healthy respect for caterers!

No comments:

Post a Comment