Tuesday, April 27, 2010

The Sub Job that wouldn't end

It was the job that wouldn't end...

I got a call on Valentine's Day to work the afternoon for a third grade teacher (and friend) whose sister had just started hospice. She'd been ill for only a brief while, but the cancer progressed quickly, and it didn't look like she had much time left. My friend, Maryrose, wanted to spend time with her while she could, so she asked if I could stay on for a few days more. Ten days later, I was still there, when word came that her sister died, and she needed more time off for bereavement. Understandable. I was starting to bond with the kids, and was really enjoying my return to third grade.

I stayed on for a full month until Spring Break started, and let the students know their teacher would be back when they returned after a week off. Still, in the back of my mind, I suspected I'd hear from her while on vacation. Sure enough, on the way home, I checked messages while laid over at the airport, and had a message asking me to come back after Break. Maryrose wasn't feeling well herself, what with the stress of her sister's illness and death, being executress of the will, and caring for her now-orphaned nephew. In addition, allergy season had started, and she was having difficulty breathing. I went back on Monday, and the students were crushed to see me - they wanted their real teacher back!

A week later, I got a call, and learned that Maryrose had a heart attack! She'd had angioplasty and two stents and would be out another couple of weeks. I was in the groove by then, and was looking at this class as my temporary own. We had our routines and they'd gotten used to the way I did things. It was report card time, so I took care of that, and conferenced with parents. The classroom was feeling like my own.

I'd now been there for seven weeks. Maryrose decided to come back, sooner than I expected, but was anxious to be back at work. Again, I told the students it would be my last day, and they were sad to see me go, but thrilled that their "real" teacher would be returning on Monday.

You guessed it; I got a call on Sunday night asking me to return. She'd had a relapse and had been back in the hospital. I returned the next day, dreading the looks on the students' faces when they saw I was there - again- instead of Maryrose. A brainstorm! I printed Maryrose's face - life-size - and made a mask. When the students walked in, I held it up in front of my face. "See, I told you I'd be back today!" Their looks of disappointment turned into laughter and we returned to our routine.

Two more weeks passed. I decided not to make any more promises about her return. It was too hard on all of us. My life had been on hold for weeks now, and the students had been jerked around too much, too. We'd just play it by ear.

Finally, her doctor released her to come back half-days, so I started working afternoons only. The kids were happy because they got Maryrose back and got to keep me, too. We were well-bonded after nine weeks together. It was gonna be hard to let go.

Three weeks of half-time, and a field trip later, my last day truly arrived. The kids had gifts, cards, and good-bye letters for me, lots of hugs, and a few tears. After twelve weeks, they'd come to think of me not as a sub, but as their "other teacher" - and so had I. I'll miss them, but I'm glad to be moving on, and to have my life back. I start performing with my choir soon, so it's time to re-prioritize. Perfect timing!

No comments:

Post a Comment