Thursday, April 26, 2012

Arizona Visit 2012

My trip last weekend to Arizona was a quick, unplanned one. Rock's memorial service was very nice, and, for a change, not one where I was constantly wiping my eyes. Not that I wasn't sad he was gone - I miss him, to be sure. But the tone was so in keeping with Rock's personality that I couldn't help but think how pleased he'd be. His son, Jeff, told stories and related memories that kept us chuckling. He captured Rock's whole being, and we were all nodding our heads in agreement and remembering fond tales of our own.

Funny how it's weddings and funerals that keep you going back to a place you once lived. And those events bring other loved ones and friends together, too. Rock's service was like a mini American Greetings reunion. Ron, Ray, Bob, Otto, and I were all there to pay our respects and to catch up with each other, too. It was like a deja vu experience to have us all in one place again. Only Ron and Otto are still hard at it... 

I visited with Nancy a bit the day before, and after the service, at her home. I think she's still in shock. Hugs to her...

While in town, I also made time to get together with other friends I have too little time to see. While birthday shopping for Emily, I met Fannie and Tony for lunch at Wildflower Cafe. That evening, I arranged  to meet friends for dinner/drinks at Garlic and Shots, and was thrilled to be able to visit with Norma, Barry, Mark, and Patti. So great to catch up with everyone's lives even though we live so far apart. Good food and good friends are a great combination. Elaine was out of town until the day I was leaving, but I was able to squeeze a few minutes in with her en route back to the airport Monday afternoon. So happy I got to see so many people!


I am grateful that I had so much time with Susan and Terry, who graciously offered their home to me as my own personal B&B while I was in town. Thanks, you two!


Although it was a sad occasion that brought me to Phoenix, but it was, without a doubt, a beautiful time to visit. Everything, it seemed, was in bloom. En route to the car rental center from the airport, I was awed by the beauty of the Palo Verde trees, evidenced in other areas around town, as well.



Then, lo and behold, I saw a saguaro cactus in full bloom. Now, I associate blooming saguaros with Mother's Day; seems to me I remember them blooming around mid-May. So I was surprised and delighted to see them blooming in late April. Determined to get a picture, I started searching in town - because, of course, I hadn't had my camera available when I needed it.

But luck was not with me. I found plenty of saguaros budded out...



... but none in bloom where I could stop for a photo. In desperation, I tried to capture an image in my side view mirror while at a stop light.

 

Finally, I saw a pair blooming in a church parking lot, and was able to get a picture or two.



My personal favorite desert plant is the ocotillo. Guess what? They were blooming, too!



Then, there was jacaranda, bougainvillaea (vine and bush), oleander, and jasmine.




Traditional yuccas and the more delicate red yuccas were stunning.

 

The beauty of the flora helped to offset the reality of 100+ degree temps - which I am not used to any more. Wouldn't you know I'd arrive on the first 100 degree day of the year? Luckily, it is still early enough in the season that it still cools off at night to a comfortable temp. And the sunsets are still spectacular - just like I remember!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment