Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Rest in Peace, Rock




At a time when I was floundering for a direction in  my life, and really didn't know which way to go, Rock took a chance on me. After eleven years in the classroom in three different states, I was frustrated with teaching and all the bureaucracy associated with education. I wanted a change in my life and my career, but I still didn't know what I wanted to be when I grew up.

I applied for a job as a merchandiser for American Greetings. Rock, my would-be boss, interviewed me. He told me flat-out that I was over-qualified for the job, but he also intuited that I was a hard worker and thorough, to boot - just what he needed. Later, when Rock and another Supervisor retired, I applied for and was promoted to a Supervisor myself, with his encouragement.

Without the boss/employee barrier between us, Rock, Nancy, and my family developed a new relationship - that of friends. When I had children, with my own parents 2,000 miles away, Rock and Nancy became adopted grandparents to Sarah and Emily. They never let a birthday or holiday go by without acknowledgement. We drove across town to their house in Halloween costumes; they came to ours for kids' birthday parties.

Rock was always quick with a quip, possessing a sense of humor unequaled by many. He had a charisma that drew strangers in and quickly turned them into friends. He had a ready smile and a head of hair that was envied by men his age and younger. He loved to fish and he loved to gamble; now that I think of it, the two have a lot in common. You throw something in, and, if you wait long enough, you just might pull something out. If there is a heaven, Rock is there, surrounded by friends old and new, regaling them with stories (some true, some not), with a big smile on his face.


In Memory of

Ralph William "Rock" Buntrock

December 30, 1927 - April 17, 2012
Obituary

.Ralph William "Rock" Buntrock - made his peaceful transition to Heaven on April 17, 2012 in Gilbert, Arizona. A loving and devoted father and brother, Rock is preceded in death by his beautiful daughter Jacquelyn and brothers Harold and Virgil. He is survived by his son Jeff and sister "Bunny". Rock is also survived by his loving, longtime companion Nancy.
Rock was an engaging man with a quick wit, an ever-present playful nature, and a kind and generous heart. Rock is a veteran of the U.S. Navy and had an illustrious 34-year career with American Greetings Corporation achieving the company's coveted "Lifetime Pacesetter" status as Salesman and District Manager.
Friends are invited to attend 11:00 AM Memorial Services on Monday, April 23, 2012 at Valley of the Sun Mortuary, 10940 E. Chandler Heights Rd. in Chandler, Arizona. Memorial contributions in Rock's name to theAmerican Cancer Society , Arizona Humane Society, or Hospice of the Valley preferred.

No comments:

Post a Comment