Sunday, December 12, 2010

Thanksgiving 2010

We were kindly invited to spend Thanksgiving with the Overholsers again this year, and gladly accepted. This was our third year with them, and it's always a real, traditional meal with lots of family - and a few orphans like us!

As befits any true Thanksgiving feast, the table was groaning with the amount of food on it. Besides the requisite turkey and dressing, there were mashed potatoes, gravy (made on site by moi!), corn, sweet potatoes, lots of bread, and pies, pies, and more pies for dessert. I brought a green bean casserole and some Brussells sprouts.

 

I was really afraid the Brussells sprouts would not be appreciated, but I'd just gotten them from my CSA, and they were so beautiful and fresh, I couldn't resist. Turns out everyone loved them - they were so popular, there were none left over! (Larry and the girls liked them so well, I bought more and fixed them again a week or so later.)

One of the Overholser traditions is to play a game after we eat. This year's game was a crazy survival trivia game that we played in teams. Lots of fun while waiting for room for dessert!
Back home, I watched the movie version of Alice's Restaurant. Not that great, but I had to get our tradition of listening to the song in somehow!

Wonderful as it was to avoid the stress of Thanksgiving preparations, I did miss the aroma of roasting turkey wafting throughout the house (and the leftovers), so on the following Saturday, I prepared a turkey breast and all the trimmings just for us. I used some CSA sweet potatoes for my own savory sweet potatoes recipe, and it was pretty yummy.

 








CSA pears contributed to a pear crisp that was great with ice cream. 

 


 Hey, if one Thanksgiving is good, a second has to be even better, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment