Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Chinatown, Ghosts and More...

We started our day today on a Chinatown walking tour. Our tour guide left the touristy Chinatown for us to explore on our own, and took us into the parts of Chinatown enjoyed by the people who live there. We visited markets, an herb shop, a fortune cookie factory, a Buddhist temple, and more, and ended with Dim Sum at a Chinese restaurant.






We took the cable car to Fisherman's Wharf - Sarah and Emily stood on the running board and hung onto the sides. So exciting!



We wandered around the Fisherman's Wharf area, had a decadent ice cream sundae at Ghirardelli Square, and I bought a sweatshirt that I'd later be glad I had. When we got back to the car, Emily kept saying she saw some green birds. We kind of blew her off, but she was insistent, and finally went over to the trees in question to investigate. Then, I, too, saw these vivid green birds with red beaks. We discovered that they are the "green parrots of Telegraph Hill" and are pretty famous around this part of San Francisco. Apparently, there was even a documentary film made about them (must find it!). They are impressive, and totally unexpected - and beautiful! Emily is one observant girl - and persistent!

This evening we went on a Ghost Hunt in the Pacific Heights area. The guide was knowledgeable and told us some engaging tales - but, alas, we saw no ghosts. I was, however, glad to have my new sweatshirt; I wore it and my jacket and was still chilly! I am happy to report that my back and hips are holding out OK, even after all of today's walking. I am, however, resting tired feet tonight, as are we all!

No comments:

Post a Comment