Wednesday, August 15, 2012

A visit to our alma mater - The University of South Alabama

Larry and I both graduated from the University of South Alabama. Back in the early to mid-70's, when we were students, it was a young institution, and, frankly, felt rather second-rate.  I always felt like we were the ugly step-sibling to the two big universities in Alabama. It doesn't feel that way any more.

We'd heard about new buildings and growth at USA, so decided to go check things out for ourselves while we were in town. After all, we were into the groove of college campus tours, big-time!

We were blown away! Why, we hardly recognized the place! First, there was official signage and academic-looking entrances to campus.



A new Engineering building stood proud at University Blvd. and Old Shell Rd.

 

The library has been expanded and updated.



The medical school complex is almost all new since I graduated. I think ths is the Nursing School building.


There's a new entrance to the Student Center...


... a clock tower...



... and new administration building, Meisler Hall.


The Mitchell Center is the new location for arena events. Its lobby houses the giant, old globe that used to grace the lobby of the Waterman Building downtown, where Daddy worked. I remember as a child marveling over its size and scope, and pointing out different locations with my Dad. It was great to see it out of storage and on display again. What a piece of Mobile history!

   

The Laidlaw Performing Arts Center houses the Music and Drama Departments and has ample space for performances and concerts of all descriptions.


Contrast all this new architecture with the older buildings on campus: cutting edge "modern" architecture for its time!

  

Though not new architecture, I was happy to see three historic buildings that were  moved to campus since I left. So glad these buildings were preserved and are being put to good use.

 

There's a new intramural building....



... and the baseball stadium has a new dorm across from it. (At least I think it's a dorm.)


I believe these to be dorms, as well. Much more impressive than the dorms I remember!



Hillsdale housing for married students is no more, but is being maintained in amazingly good shape. Note that the grass is cut and there's nothing that looks overgrown. Larry pointed out this lot as the site of his house when he lived there. Empty now!


Green spaces abound on campus, and I was thrilled to find a nature trail named for Dr. Sebastian, one of my favorite Geography professors.


Nearby is a picturesque lake filled with water lilies, cypress tress, and - apparently - alligators and snakes!


 

We've seen a lot of campuses over the past year, and this one stands tall by comparison. I feel proud to call myself a University of South Alabama alum!

No comments:

Post a Comment