Sunday, August 12, 2012

Playing tourist in Mobile

Mid-June, 2012. School had only been out for a couple of days in Oregon, and we packed our bags and headed to Mobile. Mama and Daddy weren't able to make it to Portland for Graduation, so we decided to bring the graduate - and the rest of the family - to them. We took a red-eye, so arrived tired and ready to collapse. Luckily we were able to get into our room early, and spent much of the day sleeping. Dinner with Mama, Daddy, and Ruth Ann, followed by a dip in the pool completed our first day. The pool turned out to be a great source of exercise and relaxation, as well as a way to cool off. As the week wore on - and the weather heated up - we were glad it was there!

  

Larry came in the following day. We went by Mama and Daddy's house to say hello before he went to bed (darn red-eye flights!), and, as we left, I tripped over an uneven spot in the sidewalk and went down face-first. Luckily, my glasses took the brunt of the fall and saved my face. Somehow, they didn't break, but did get scratched up. Guess new glasses are in my future when we get home... I skinned up my left side a bit, but thankfully no great harm was done, just embarrassment. Good thing I didn't land farther to my left - a fire ant bed was waiting to greet me mere inches away!

 

Susan and Tom had us over for dinner that night, and we had a lovely time with Mama, Daddy, Megan,  Ruth Ann, and Mrs. Wiggins joining us. It was good to see Susan's mom, now living with them,  recovering after her stroke. Susan and Tom are always gracious hosts, and this was no exception. Everything was so tasty, and I brought her dessert recipe home with me to try another time. Strawberries and whipped cream on a shortbread crust. Yum!

Time catching up with my parents was great, but, being on vacation, we looked for things to do on our former home turf. One day we took the girls to a water park in Gulf Shores, Waterville USA. They had a blast on all the water slides. I enjoyed the wave pool, the Lazy River, and lounging with my book. 

    

On the way home, we met my parents and Ruth Ann at Tacky Shack on the Causeway for some seafood. While there, who should we run into but former Margaret Street neighbor, Jimmy Dyess. We wouldn't have known him, but he recognized us and came over to introduce himself. Talk about a blast from the past!

Another trip to the past occurred one evening as we gathered for dinner at the Mellow Mushroom with high school friends and family members as yet unseen. It was great fun to share pizza and beer with Leannah, Laura, Janie, Ginger, Jay, and Tricia. 

A highlight for lunch was the Galilee Cafe, a Mediterranean restaurant that's a favorite with my parents. It was tasty!

 

One afternoon was spent downtown. Larry took the girls to the Exploreum while I met my friend, Mary Ellen Burch at the Host Gallery, owned by her sister-in-law. It was great to visit with her, and the gelato we had afterward was a nice treat, too. Sadly, I recently learned that the gallery is now closed. So glad I got there when I did...


Downtown Mobile looked really good this visit. Things looked prosperous, and we enjoyed looking at the area as a tourist would. We admired the historic buildings and landmarks, the beauty and grace of Bienville Square, remnants of Mardi Gras, and public art and flower beds.

     
former Demeranville Florist
former Haunted Bookstore
   
     


On the way back to West Mobile, we drove through some older neighborhoods, and past some favorite haunts...

  

Still playing tourist, we visited Langan Park, named after my cousin, former Mobile mayor, Joe Langan.

     

Not to play favorites, I noted that the Mobile airport's alter ego is Bates Field - no relation that we know of.

 

We also noticed with interest things we took for granted as kids growing up here that are absent in the Pacific Northwest: 

  


And, although we have beautiful trees and lots of lush plants in Oregon, there are indiginous plants here that I do miss....

Stately oak tree at Magnolia Cemetery










Crape Myrtles in full bloom










magnolia tree in a front yard













Some that I don't...

 

 

And some new to the area since my time!


Mama threw Sarah a fabulous graduation party, and we spent a few days at Dauphin Island before heading back home. But those event deserve their own posts!

On our way to the airport we stopped my Mama and Daddy's for a final good-bye and found Daddy on a ladder cleaning his gutters! Good thing he didn't fall in that fire ant bed!




No comments:

Post a Comment