Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Day Camp 2010

Sarah, Emily, and I spent last week at Mountaindale at Girl Scout Day Camp. My job this year was that of Supplies person. I was responsible for purchasing, gathering, and organizing the supplies needed for all the units and divisions at camp for the week. A trip to the storage shed yielded such useful items as twine, rope, Sharpies, clothespins, hand sanitizer, pocket knives, and compasses. A good start, based on what was on my list of necessities. I was able to fax my order for items at Mountaindale to the Ranger, so that was pretty easy to accomplish.

My next pre-camp job was to go shopping - never one of my favorite pursuits, especially when it involves comparison shopping. The main items on my list were zip-lock bags of varying sizes, foil, garbage bags, charcoal, candy, sno-cone syrup, and a buffet set-up for keeping food warm at the overnighter. Not too bad a list; I actually accomplished it pretty quickly, and with little trouble. (Except for those units who didn't contact me until two days before camp set-up. Hmmm...) A call to Party Pros, and the sno-cone machine for Friday was reserved.

Gathering... check. Purchasing... check. Now for the organizing part. That, I'm good at - and enjoy. I followed the lead of a friend and former Supplies person, and organized what I could from home into paper bags, labeled with the names of each unit. Then, when I got to camp, I added the stuff that was in the shed there to complete the "coffin boxes" for each unit.

Let me digress for a moment. Each unit (group of campers earning a specific badge) receives a box of supplies to use for the week. They are for use in setting up the unit site in the woods, keeping lunches cool in the ice chests, hanging projects or backpacks, etc. These supplies are packed in individual bins. These bins, as long as I've been around, have been called by the macabre name of "coffin boxes". I finally learned why. Apparently, many years ago, the boxes were long and slender and made of wood. They did look somewhat like coffins. Fast forward to the 21st century, when we are now using plastic bins that look nothing like coffins. Isn't it time to retire this term, and call them "unit boxes" or "supply boxes" or some such?

Back to the discussion: On Saturday before camp starts, we hold"Outdoor Training", followed by some time to set up the unit sites. My unit boxes were due to be ready by 2:00. At 11:30, someone told me in passing that they were ahead of schedule by an hour. Holy *#%@! I needed help to pull this off! I was sent PAs (Program Aides), and we kicked it into gear. I am happy to report we had everything ready by 12:50. Granted, I'd had no lunch, but the leaders were able to get their supplies and get set up. Whew! The hard part of my job was done - until Friday when it all had to be collected and stored again...

During camp week, my job was pretty easy. I hung out by the storage shed...



...surrounded by nature. Not a bad view to look at all week!



I was available during the day to supply units with whatever they might need: pocket knives, compasses, toilet paper, soap. These requests were random and certainly not constant, and invariably came during the odd moments I chose to use the bathroom or grab my lunch. Someone was always looking for me when I got back. I was the most popular person in camp - perhaps because I gave out candy! To keep me from being too lonely, units would stop by and sing to me. In exchange, I'd give out candy to each camper. The most creative/enthusiastic/energetic/prepared group received an award from me each day at Flag Down. As the week wore on, the stakes got higher, the efforts increased, and the quality improved immensely. I got to know all the campers (and leaders) in camp, and vice versa. Pretty fun!



Always alert to nature and the experiences it offers, I had an impressive specimen of a banana slug visit me one day, and adopted it as my pet. I introduced "Nanner" to each unit that visited me. He even posed for us next to his namesakes - and mimicked them! What a well-trained creature!



Both Sarah and Emily were PAs this year. Sarah was with a Brownie unit, and they just adore the big girls who lead their activities all week. Her unit was just up the trail from the Supply shed, so I saw them often.

Emily helped lead the Cooking Program; all the units in camp spent a scheduled time with her learning camp cooking. She taught them how to cook with coals in foil, in a dutch oven, and in a box oven. Next time we camp, she will be our resident expert. She may have exceeded my body of knowledge by now!

There were "theme" days, and campers and leaders were encouraged to participate. Emily and a friend observed "twins" day, and convinced some little girls that they were, indeed, sisters!



Our days started at Flag Up and ended at Flag Down. Clearly, a time for flag ceremonies, but also a chance to teach the girls (and the lone Boys unit) camp songs, do skits, and make announcements. Emily enjoyed leading some of the songs.



Sarah's unit was among those caught with a Mugwump (stuffed animal) hidden in their site one day, and had to perform the dreaded "Squirrelly" in front of all the campers.



I was arrested as part of a skit, and accused of kidnapping. I was, of course, innocent, and protested that fact loudly!



The end of the week brought the huge job of collecting and organizing the used supplies and packing them away for future use. I set up a self check-in system that worked pretty well, and enabled me to get things packed up and make a pretty clean break at the end of Friday.

All in all, we had a successful week: We all enjoyed ourselves, and did a service for Girl Scouts; Sarah earned 30 service hours, and had little girls hanging on her and adoring her (what more could you want?!); Emily grew as a leader and a camp cook, and made a great impression that will serve her well next year.

Will I be willing to do this job again next year? As long as we're in town, yes. It was pretty fun, and had just the right amount of detail and organizational requirements that suited my sensibilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment