Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Deer in the 'hood

I love my neighborhood. As a crow flies, we live 5 miles from downtown Portland, but driving up the hill to our house, it feels like we're in the country. In fact, this whole area used to be farms and forest. A few stray barns still pop up here and there, and one neighbor around the corner has horses and chickens.

Today, Emily and I were coming home after running errands, and looked up ahead to see three deer walking single-file down the middle of our street. They were yearlings, new antlers just sprouting out of their heads, and were seemingly out for a mid-day stroll. They turned the corner and continued down the next street like they were off to join their buddies for a game of b-ball. Quite the sight.

Occasionally, they'll show up in our backyard. One day, a doe and her fawn were grazing in our backyard. They had walked in through the open front gate, but seemed confused as to how to leave. I went down to open the back gate for them, and spooked the mom. She jumped over the fence and left the poor baby stranded and disoriented. I backed off, and the fawn finally left the way it came in. Uh oh! Now the mother was in the back on the next street, and the baby was in front - alone! I'm sure they found each other eventually, but I felt very guilty for interfering with nature.



Today, alas, I didn't have a camera. But, I didn't interfere with our neighborhood deer and their apparent social appointment. I just enjoyed their visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment