Friday, August 6, 2010

Xeda

We leave tomorrow morning for Yellowstone. This evening, as we pack and make preparations for our trip, I'm feeling rather sorry for our cat, Xeda. She senses that something is going on. In her little cat brain, I'm sure she's remembering that, in the past, when suitcases start piling up, she's left alone.

Poor Xeda. She will be well cared for. Emily's friend, Emily, will be by once a day to feed her, clean the litter box, and play with her - if Xeda will let her. She's not the most social of cats. Particularly if you aren't a family member.

Xeda is social in her own way. She wants to be in the rooms where we are, just for the company. But she wants that company on her own cat-like terms. She is allowed to rub against our legs, as desired, and will usually willingly accept a head rub, in passing. (Especially from Larry's feet. He's the expert at hands-free head rubs.) But, if we dare try to pet her when she's not in the mood, we are likely to be hissed at, or even nipped.



Xeda has not been a lap cat since she was a kitten. We've wished she were, and have tried to coax her into it, but one can only take so many rejections. Finally, we just accepted the sad fact that she isn't that kind of cat.

Then, suddenly, a few months back, she started jumping up onto my lap as I was stretched out watching TV. At first, it was our little secret. She would only jump onto me if no one else was around, and only if I were lying on the sofa. (Perhaps I was her last resort friend?) Once she got settled in place, she'd go to sleep - sometimes we'd even nap together - until someone else entered the room. Then, she'd jump down, all guilty-like, and pretend she didn't know me. Eventually, she started jumping onto my lap when I was sitting in the chair, and now, she even lets herself be seen in my lap by others. Very risky! If Larry is around, however, he always takes precedence for company. He is her favorite.



So, the question remains, will she let Emily the cat-sitter play with her? I wish I could be sure. She's as likely to hide from her as she is to hiss at her. But, in the past, she's allowed Emily to pet her a bit. I suppose if you're lonely enough, you'll welcome any kind of human interaction. I hope for Emily's sake that Xeda is friendly. It's a lot more fun to cat-sit if the kitty is friendly.

As for us, we'll be oh, so much more loved when we get back. Xeda is nothing if not grateful for her family's return.

No comments:

Post a Comment